Book your Field Trip today. Our Visitor Rules and Tips (below) apply to all tours.
Sanctuary One’s Learn, Care and Grow Field Trips are offered in three distinct, yet interwoven, varieties, each exploring the Care Farm model of simultaneous, holistic care for animals, people and the earth. All field trips include hand-on activities, games, farm tours, and animal interaction in a unique outdoor classroom setting, and are appropriate for school grades K-12 as well as other youth-service organizations. Field trips are conducted year-round, and typically run from 10:00 am to 1:30 pm with a 30-minute lunch break. Group size accommodated is 12-38 youth, with a minimum of one teacher/chaperone for each 12 youth. Groups are responsible for providing their own sack lunches; please note that Sanctuary One is a vegetarian/vegan facility and all visitors are asked to abide by this policy. Cost is $10 per person, including chaperones. Limited scholarships may be available.
The three Learn, Care and Grow Field Trip options are:
Animal Care Field Trip consists of an introduction to Sanctuary One and Care Farming; a Farm Tour & introduction to our animals; 30-minute lunch break; and a Compassionate Care Exercise.
Earth Care Field Trip consists of an introduction to Sanctuary One and Care Farming; a tour of our organic gardens and orchard; a visit to our Composting operation, the animal pastures and Magic Forest; 30-minute lunch break; and a Plant/Nature Exercise.
People Care Field Trip consists of an introduction to Sanctuary One and Care Farming; a Cooperation Game; 30-minute lunch break; a Whole Farm Tour; and a Labyrinth Exercise.
- No personal pets allowed.
- Please do not feed the animals. It is also important that you do not carry any food, including gum or candy, in your pockets or purse.
- Do not approach the animals without first checking with staff. Our animals come from situations of abuse and neglect and must be handled with care.
- The Sanctuary is a vegetarian facility. If you bring a snack with you, please make sure it’s meat-free.
- Closed-toed shoes required, no sandals or flip-flops.
- Smoking and alcohol are not permitted anywhere on the Sanctuary premises.
- Individuals under 18 years of age must be accompanied by an adult.
Tips for Visitors
- If you have special needs and are unable to traverse rough terrain, please call in advance. The Sanctuary wants to make sure everyone has a positive experience and we will do our best to accommodate your needs.
- Bring a refillable water bottle.
- Be on the lookout for snakes, bees, spiders and other natural wildlife.
- There is no cell phone service at the Sanctuary. Be sure to print directions prior to your departure.
Please remember that many of our animals are recovering from abuse or neglect. Our policies are designed to protect visitors and animal residents alike.
How To Get Here
We are located at 13195 Upper Applegate Road near Jacksonville, Oregon. From downtown Jacksonville, head west on Highway 238 for 8 miles to the town of Ruch. Turn left at Upper Applegate Road. Drive 12.5 miles; Sanctuary One is on the lefthand side. If you pass mile marker 13 or reach Applegate Lake, you’ve gone too far. See a map.